Step by step

King shares her passion for horses

Provided by Rylee King

Rylee King has been riding horses longer than she can remember. As early as just 3, Rylee rode her first horse, Spirit, who she eventually outgrew. 

“I started off with a miniature horse and when I got too big for him I finally got a ‘big’ horse, and I haven’t stopped since,” she said.

Horses interest her in many ways; she’s fascinated and loves learning new things about them.

“In the horse world, there is something for everybody, whether it be showing, rodeo, jumping, you name it, and it’s really fascinating to learn about what all the horse industry and horses have to offer,” she said.

She’s won several awards for working with horses, but she said her biggest accomplishment has been working with people.

“I got to teach, lead, and inspire over 1,500 elementary students with the knowledge of horses each year, and got to brighten their day by letting them pet a horse.” King said.

She advises students to be patient and learn when they start to get involved with horses. 

“There is a lot to learn about caring for horses, riding, showing, and much more, and it all can’t be learned in one day. Just take it step by step and enjoy everything that horses have to offer.”

Her work with these students helped King to be named as a Citgo Distinguished Scholar for Leadership. She plans to attend Texas A&M University and wants to pursue something in the medical field. 

“I’ve spent a lot of time up at the campus for 4-H and horse events and just love everything the school has to offer.”

King plans to continue working with horses after graduation.

“A personal goal I have is to try out for the Texas A&M Collegiate Horse Judging team and become an official horse judge some day, and travel across Texas judging horse shows. “

Being a judge someday means a lot to her because of her past experiences with the horse industry.

“The 4-H and horse industry has done so much for me, I feel like being a judge is a great way for me to give back and keep inspiring others to stay involved with horses, or whatever may be their passion.”

King is not only a leader around the horse stables. She is also active in student council, Business Professionals of America, National Technical Honors Society and National Honors Society.

“Within most of these clubs I have held some type of leadership position and participated in numerous community service projects,” King said.

BPA and 4-H have had the biggest impact on King and her leadership development. 

“From competing in contests and community service through both 4-H and BPA, to being a leader at the local and state levels, I have learned countless leadership, communication, organization, and team building skills that I will never take for granted,“ she said. 

While she has taken on leadership roles in her other clubs, she is most passionate about helping others learn more about horses.

“I wanted to reach every student and provide them with positive experiences, so they could continue to grow,” King said. “I rode by their sides and walked them through, step by step.”