Principal Ben Portillo adjusts the podium during the commencement ceremony on Thursday, June 11, 2020. “There were questions, but once comfortable with the technology set in place, all worries were overcame,” Portillo said. “I am excited for the school year ahead.” (Meinheit)
Principal Ben Portillo adjusts the podium during the commencement ceremony on Thursday, June 11, 2020. “There were questions, but once comfortable with the technology set in place, all worries were overcame,” Portillo said. “I am excited for the school year ahead.”

Meinheit

Portillo: “We have had a smooth start”

New principal reminds students to be aware of changing safety measures

August 19, 2020

Benito Portillo’s tenure as principal is already unlike any before him. Instead of welcoming students and faculty back to campus, Portillo is leading the effort to resume lessons while everyone remains apart. He said the school year has started smoothly despite questions about students and teachers adapting to new technology. 

Below is an email conversation with Mr.Portillo about the start of the school year.

How smoothly do you think the online classes have been going?

The 2020-2021 School year contains unprecedented measures set by school all throughout the nation. This school year has been planned all summer long. We have provided teachers with professional development to help prepare them for virtual school. We have exhausted all portable technology in the building to provide students what they need to be successful while distant. We have had a smooth start to school. Yes, there were questions, but once comfortable with the technology set in place, all worries were overcame. I am excited for the school year ahead.

Do you have any new ideas/plans you are implementing this year?

The process of learning from home is new to all of us. We have set the standard of what is Google Classroom and Zoom to help deliver the content of our courses. We have had to adjust at all aspects of school from Fish Camp to upcoming Senior Activities.

How differently do you think this school year will be?

School in general is going through a massive shift. Technology has always aided in the learning process, but now it is crucial for the learning process to occur.

Will students be allowed to go and support our sport teams this year?

It depends on the sport. TMHS will keep the safety of our athletes in mind. Our facilities offer different opportunities for each sport. For example, the natatorium offers a smaller space when compared to the stadium. We will make sure to set protocols and procedures in place that will err on the side of safety for all those involved. More details to come.

As far as right now what will change when we go back to school?

In-person school will most likely look different when we return to TMHS. We are currently in the process of developing plans that will provide students a sense of traditional school with added protocols to help limit the spread of the COVID-19 virus. Please be on the lookout for procedures and protocols. We utilize the TMHS website and the TMHS Facebook page to notify the public of our plans.

What will be different for the seniors this year?

TMHS is having to get creative in order to provide senior students an as-close to traditional senior year. Senior activities might look a little different but will provide students the opportunity to create unique and unforgettable memories.

Lastly, how does it feel to be the new head principal?

It has been an amazing experience. I am excited to have the opportunity to continue to lead Tuloso-Midway High School strive towards greatness.

WAR CRY • Copyright 2021 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in