Announcements for March 10

TM Speech and debate

TM’s Speech & Debate team qualified and competed against over 200 schools at the Texas Forensic Association State Tournament this past weekend. The TFA State Tournament is known as the most competitive in the state and our students rose to the occasion. The team entered the tournament ranked #4 out of all public and private schools, and the team ended the tournament winning 2nd place in the entire state. The team also won two State Championships, two Top Debate Speaker awards, had two recipients of the TFA Scholarship, won the Top Individual Competitor award, and multiple students advanced to quarter and semi final rounds.

TM Wins 2nd Place Overall Sweepstakes
State Champion Duet – Chence Hull & Cesar Palacios & State Champion Duo- Emiliano Flores & Cesar Palacios
State Scholarship Recipient & State Runner Up World Schools Debate Speaker – Vada Janak
State Scholarship Recipient & State Runner Up Impromptu Speaking – Teah Mbang
3rd Top Speaker in Lincoln Douglas Debate– Kevin Craig

Linda Esquivel & Tasha Jones would like to thank everyone for their continued support of these students and are so happy they could represent our outstanding district.

Golden Brigade show

The Golden Brigade will be hosting their Spring Show…The Magic of Motown
The Spring Show is Monday, March 23rd at 6pm in the TMHS Performing Arts Center.

There will also be a Spring Show Clinic for Kinder – 5th Grade students on Saturday, March 21st from 9:30am-11am.
Cost is only $10 per student. All participants at our clinic will perform in the Spring Show.

For more information contact Stacie Stacie Figueroa

BPA Competition

T-M’s Business Professionals of America Club traveled to Dallas this past week to compete in the State Leadership Conference, 16 students have advanced to the National Leadership Conference in Washington, D.C., taking place
May 6-10.

Tristan Salinas – 1st Admin Support Research Project

JoAnn Robledo – 1st Extemporaneous Speech

Kaitlin Miller – 1st Fundamental Desktop Publishing

Eliana Martinez – 2nd Fundamental Desktop Publishing

Allesandra Ruiz – 2nd Intermediate Word Processing

Cain Malachite – 2nd Prepared Speech

Mackenzie Woodard 3rd Computer Security

Santiago Vasquez 3rd Medical Office Procedures

Serena Flores – 4th Fundamental Word Processing

Chloe Hinojosa – 5th Intermediate Word Processing

Team Event National Qualifiers were:

Serena Flores, Kaitlin Miller, Annabelle Plata and Mackenzie Woodard – 2nd Admin Support Team

Rylee King, Cain Malachite, JoAnn Robledo and Isabella Rodriquez – 2nd Video Production Team

Those recognized as National Alternates were:

Rylee King – 4th Interview Skills

Rolando Zaragoza 5th Fundamental Accounting

Isabella Rodriquez 6th Medical Office Procedures

Ayrika Garcia, Eliana Martinez, Alesandra Ruiz and Tristan Salinas – 4th Admin Support Team

Statesman Torch Awards Recipients were:

Isabella Rodriquez

Jennifer Xac

Tristan Salinas

JoAnn Robledo

Open Events Winners were:

Cain Malachite – 1st Information Technology Conce

Stay Home if You’re Sick

Nurse Maggie Weinrich has had Mrs. Maher send out a “Call Reach” to parents twice, regarding students coming to school sick. We are having an issue with parents and students coming to school, knowing they are sick. The nurses are asking for support by reminding students to stay home if they are ill.

Law Enforcement

The club competed in the Texas Public Service Association Central Region competition on Saturday, with 20 students qualifying for the state competition. Results and students placing in their events were:

Building Search (Justin Patton, Juan Lopez, Donovan Cooper, and Mark Garza), Second Place
Closing Argument (Jackeline Zapata), Second Place
Crime Scene Investigation (Xiomara Garcia, Miranda Cantu, Kathryn Wilson), Second Place
Felony Traffic Stop (Ethan Hari, Callen Melvin, Jon Heilman, Juan Rojas), First Place
Search and Rescue (John-Ryan Lawrence First Place, Anthony Luis Second Place)
Job Interview (Aliyah Delgado), First Place
Opening Statement (Daniela Cano-Lopez), Third Place
Expert Witness (Jackeline Zapata), Second Place
Police Report Writing ( Jacquelynn Gonzalez), First Place
SWAT Special Weapons and Tactics (Ethan Hari, Callen Melvin, Justin Patton, Juan Rojas, Juan Lopez, Jon Heilman), Second Place
Traffic Stop (Jon Vega-Rosas), Second Place
Law Enforcement Agility Course (Destiny Ruiz), Second Place
Firefighter Agility Course (Alan Rodriguez), First Place

Sports

Golf– The annual golf tournament will be Monday, April 20 at River Hills Country Club. Proceeds from this event support the grants we issue each year to our teachers. Varsity will play in Alice on Friday & Saturday, February 28th & 29th.

Warrior Basketball– The Warriors fell to the Veterans Memorial, 67-79, in the Bi-District round of Playoffs on Feb. 24.

Cherokee Basketball – The Cherokees fell to the Victoria East Titans, 64-78, in the Bi-District round of Playoffs.

Warrior Soccer – The Warriors will continue District play on Friday, February 21st, hosting the Alice Coyotes. JV will play at 5:30pm with Varsity to follow at 7pm. It is also Senior Night for the Warriors.

Cherokee Soccer- The Cherokees traveled to Laredo Martin on Tuesday, February 25th. The Varsity lost 2-3 and the JV lost 1-2.

If you would like to buy a Cherokee playoff shirt, please click on the link below. Sizes that are available are youth medium to 4xl. Short sleeve shirts (sm – 3xl) cost $15.00 while long sleeve shirts (ym – 3xl) cost $20.00. 4xl short sleeve shirts cost $19.00 while 4xl long sleeve shirts cost $24.00. The link will be active until February 11, 2020 (link will close at 11:59 pm). All playoff shirts must be purchased through this link. The shirts will delivered to me and I will distribute the shirts to your campus. If you have any questions, contact James Bueno at 3180. Please click on this link to purchase: https://gogearonline.com/tuloso-po

Powerlifting – Power Lifting will compete at Bishop on Saturday, February 29th. 10 girls have qualified for the Regional Powerlifting meet. Girls Powerlifting Regional Qualifier Shirt are available. The shirts are dri fit and are $20.00. Let E.J. McNamara know how many and what sizes you would like so he can get the order in by Friday.

Tennis – Varsity will compete at Flour Bluff on Friday, February 28th. The JV Tennis Team traveled to Flour Bluff for Bluff Tuff #2. As a team, the JV finished in 2nd place. Results are listed:
Flour Bluff: 110
Tuloso-Midway: 100
Veterans Memorial: 40

Softball – Thursday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th, the JV will compete in the CCISD Tournament and Varsity will compete in the Beeville Tournament.

Baseball – On Monday, February 24th, the Freshmen defeated Kingsville 15-2. The JV beat Veterans Memorial 6-3. The Varsity Warriors will compete in the Bishop Tournament Friday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th. The JV will compete in the Calallen Tournament Friday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th. The Freshmen will compete in the Moody Tournament Friday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th

Girl Scout Cookies

Girl Scout Cookies can’t be sold during school hours to students, due to the Food Compete Laws and TMHS Policy. Orders for students can be taken but delivery must be after school or before school. Students may not be in possession of cookies during the school day (carrying around those to sell or for delivery).

Online Store

Grad Nite now has a TM online store with items offered here are not group specific, and aren’t dated. Buys can choose from embroidered tops to screen tees and can choose which design you want on which shirt. The store will be open for the rest of the school year and orders will be filled every two weeks.

Suicide Awareness Walk

The 4th Annual Suicide Awareness “Walk for Colten” is scheduled for 9 a.m. Saturday, April 4 at Calallen Middle School. Registration begins a half hour before the walk.
According to organizers suicide rates among 10-24 year olds has increased 58% over the past 10 years, and 100% in the 10–14 age group.
For more information: [email protected]

Prom

Prom will be held Saturday, April 25 from 8 p.m to midnight at Richard M. Borchard Fairgrounds. The theme will be “Havana Nights”. Ticket details to come in March.

Scholarships

H-E-B Scholarship for UIL Senior Participants

H-E-B will award 15 high school seniors who participated in UIL competitions with a $2,000 scholarship in recognition of their community service and involvement in their communities.

If you are a senior who meets the criteria below, please submit your application to SportsInAction.com by no later than February 14, 2020:

· Minimum 3.3 GPA

· Number of Community Service Hours Completed in the last 12 months

· Community Service Verification Letters to document the number of hours submitted

· A letter of recommendation

· A Short Essay (500 words or less) on the topic: “What does Community mean to you?”

There will be 15 total winners – 5 each in music, academics and athletics – and each will be awarded $2,000 from H-E-B. An announcement of the winners will be March 14, 2020.

More information on the scholarship can be found here: http://www.sportsinaction.com/scholarship/

If you have teacher aid, senior arrival or senior leave, stop by the Go Center to complete your application.

South Texas Press Association is making available the $1,500 Paul Busch Scholarship for a graduating high school student who is pursuing a career in newspaper journalism. The recipient will receive $750 upon registration for the fall semester 2020 and an additional $750 upon registration for the spring semester 2021. South Texas Press Association covers newspapers from Round Rock south to the coast and then on down to the valley and go as far west as Bandera.

The Navy announced a new scholarship program for students who don’t quite make the minimum scores (SAT/ACT) to qualify for the  Navy officer ROTC program scholarship. Students must be able to pass a Navy Physical Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups). The new program will pay 100% of college costs (tuition and room and board) for one full year for accepted students at any college that supports the program. Students are automatically enrolled into the Navy ROTC program at that school with a full 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship after successfully completing the initial year.

See LCDR Joe Harmon in Room 139 for more information.

Afternoon tutorials

Library tutorials are held each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school from 4:10 – 5:10.

The War Cry staff posts announcements each day during the eighth-period newspaper class. Contact student media adviser Matt Meinheit at [email protected] before eighth period to add an item to the announcements.