Announcements for February 29, 2020

Staff

Stay Home if You’re Sick

Nurse Maggie Weinrich has had Mrs. Maher send out a “Call Reach” to parents twice, regarding students coming to school sick. We are having an issue with parents and students coming to school, knowing they are sick. The nurses are asking for support by reminding students to stay home if they are ill.

Law Enforcement

The club competed in the Texas Public Service Association Central Region competition on Saturday, with 20 students qualifying for the state competition. Results and students placing in their events were:

Building Search (Justin Patton, Juan Lopez, Donovan Cooper, and Mark Garza), Second Place
Closing Argument (Jackeline Zapata), Second Place
Crime Scene Investigation (Xiomara Garcia, Miranda Cantu, Kathryn Wilson), Second Place
Felony Traffic Stop (Ethan Hari, Callen Melvin, Jon Heilman, Juan Rojas), First Place
Search and Rescue (John-Ryan Lawrence First Place, Anthony Luis Second Place)
Job Interview (Aliyah Delgado), First Place
Opening Statement (Daniela Cano-Lopez), Third Place
Expert Witness (Jackeline Zapata), Second Place
Police Report Writing ( Jacquelynn Gonzalez), First Place
SWAT Special Weapons and Tactics (Ethan Hari, Callen Melvin, Justin Patton, Juan Rojas, Juan Lopez, Jon Heilman), Second Place
Traffic Stop (Jon Vega-Rosas), Second Place
Law Enforcement Agility Course (Destiny Ruiz), Second Place
Firefighter Agility Course (Alan Rodriguez), First Place

Robotics Team

The Robotics Team competed in the Region 4 State Qualifier in Austin, TX on Saturday, February 22nd. Both teams are advancing to state.

Sports

Golf– The annual golf tournament will be Monday, April 20 at River Hills Country Club. Proceeds from this event support the grants we issue each year to our teachers. Varsity will play in Alice on Friday & Saturday, February 28th & 29th.

Warrior Basketball– The Warriors fell to the Veterans Memorial, 67-79, in the Bi-District round of Playoffs on Feb. 24.

Cherokee Basketball – The Cherokees fell to the Victoria East Titans, 64-78, in the Bi-District round of Playoffs.

Warrior Soccer – The Warriors will continue District play on Friday, February 21st, hosting the Alice Coyotes. JV will play at 5:30pm with Varsity to follow at 7pm. It is also Senior Night for the Warriors.

Cherokee Soccer- The Cherokees traveled to Laredo Martin on Tuesday, February 25th. The Varsity lost 2-3 and the JV lost 1-2.

If you would like to buy a Cherokee playoff shirt, please click on the link below. Sizes that are available are youth medium to 4xl. Short sleeve shirts (sm – 3xl) cost $15.00 while long sleeve shirts (ym – 3xl) cost $20.00. 4xl short sleeve shirts cost $19.00 while 4xl long sleeve shirts cost $24.00. The link will be active until February 11, 2020 (link will close at 11:59 pm). All playoff shirts must be purchased through this link. The shirts will delivered to me and I will distribute the shirts to your campus. If you have any questions, contact James Bueno at 3180. Please click on this link to purchase: https://gogearonline.com/tuloso-po

Powerlifting – Power Lifting will compete at Bishop on Saturday, February 29th. 10 girls have qualified for the Regional Powerlifting meet. Girls Powerlifting Regional Qualifier Shirt are available. The shirts are dri fit and are $20.00. Let E.J. McNamara know how many and what sizes you would like so he can get the order in by Friday.

Tennis – Varsity will compete at Flour Bluff on Friday, February 28th. The JV Tennis Team traveled to Flour Bluff for Bluff Tuff #2. As a team, the JV finished in 2nd place. Results are listed:
Flour Bluff: 110
Tuloso-Midway: 100
Veterans Memorial: 40

Boys Singles
Dorian Linebrink: Champion
Chris Falcon: 2nd
Andy Luis: 4th

Girls Doubles
Vanessa Flores/Evelyn Titzman: 2nd
Isabelle Quezada/Rita Rico: 4th

Girls Singles
Corina Cordova: 3rd
Jayla Cantu: 4th

Mixed Doubles
Annastasia Barboza/Noah Guerra: 3rd
Ben Gomez/Isabelle Reyes: 4th
Henry Fulton/Shreya Komire: Quarterfinalists

Boys Doubles
Kaleb Clack/Dylan Hornsby: 3rd
Brandon Hower/Cody Monte: Consolation Champions

Softball – Thursday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th, the JV will compete in the CCISD Tournament and Varsity will compete in the Beeville Tournament.

Baseball – On Monday, February 24th, the Freshmen defeated Kingsville 15-2. The JV beat Veterans Memorial 6-3. The Varsity Warriors will compete in the Bishop Tournament Friday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th. The JV will compete in the Calallen Tournament Friday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th. The Freshmen will compete in the Moody Tournament Friday, February 27th – Saturday, February 29th

Girl Scout Cookies

Girl Scout Cookies can’t be sold during school hours to students, due to the Food Compete Laws and TMHS Policy. Orders for students can be taken but delivery must be after school or before school. Students may not be in possession of cookies during the school day (carrying around those to sell or for delivery).

Online Store

Grad Nite now has a TM online store with items offered here are not group specific, and aren’t dated. Buys can choose from embroidered tops to screen tees and can choose which design you want on which shirt. The store will be open for the rest of the school year and orders will be filled every two weeks.

Suicide Awareness Walk

The 4th Annual Suicide Awareness “Walk for Colten” is scheduled for 9 a.m. Saturday, April 4 at Calallen Middle School. Registration begins a half hour before the walk.
According to organizers suicide rates among 10-24 year olds has increased 58% over the past 10 years, and 100% in the 10–14 age group.
For more information: [email protected]

Prom

Prom will be held Saturday, April 25 from 8 p.m to midnight at Richard M. Borchard Fairgrounds. The theme will be “Havana Nights”. Ticket details to come in March.

Scholarships

H-E-B Scholarship for UIL Senior Participants

H-E-B will award 15 high school seniors who participated in UIL competitions with a $2,000 scholarship in recognition of their community service and involvement in their communities.

If you are a senior who meets the criteria below, please submit your application to SportsInAction.com by no later than February 14, 2020:

· Minimum 3.3 GPA

· Number of Community Service Hours Completed in the last 12 months

· Community Service Verification Letters to document the number of hours submitted

· A letter of recommendation

· A Short Essay (500 words or less) on the topic: “What does Community mean to you?”

There will be 15 total winners – 5 each in music, academics and athletics – and each will be awarded $2,000 from H-E-B. An announcement of the winners will be March 14, 2020.

More information on the scholarship can be found here: http://www.sportsinaction.com/scholarship/

If you have teacher aid, senior arrival or senior leave, stop by the Go Center to complete your application.

South Texas Press Association is making available the $1,500 Paul Busch Scholarship for a graduating high school student who is pursuing a career in newspaper journalism. The recipient will receive $750 upon registration for the fall semester 2020 and an additional $750 upon registration for the spring semester 2021. South Texas Press Association covers newspapers from Round Rock south to the coast and then on down to the valley and go as far west as Bandera.

The Navy announced a new scholarship program for students who don’t quite make the minimum scores (SAT/ACT) to qualify for the  Navy officer ROTC program scholarship. Students must be able to pass a Navy Physical Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups). The new program will pay 100% of college costs (tuition and room and board) for one full year for accepted students at any college that supports the program. Students are automatically enrolled into the Navy ROTC program at that school with a full 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship after successfully completing the initial year.

See LCDR Joe Harmon in Room 139 for more information.

Afternoon tutorials

Library tutorials are held each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school from 4:10 – 5:10.

The War Cry staff posts announcements each day during the eighth-period newspaper class. Contact student media adviser Matt Meinheit at [email protected] before eighth period to add an item to the announcements.