Announcements for February 20, 2020

Lilly Quesnel, War Cry Staff

Sports

Golf- Our annual golf tournament will be Monday, April 20 at River Hills Country Club. If you know anyone who might be interested in sponsoring a team or other available sponsorships related to this event please pass along the attached reservation form. Proceeds from this event support the grants we issue each year to our teachers.

Basketball- The Warrior Basketball playoff game is set. They will be taking on Veterans Memorial on Monday Feb 24th at 7:00pm at Miller High school. The Warriors will be the home team. Gates will open at 6:15pm.

Tennis – The Varsity Tennis Team took 3rd Place at the Battle of the Bay. Results are listed:

Girls Singles:
Denise Navarro: 5th
Macy Winchester: 27th

Girls Doubles:
Jakelyn Rios/Alondra Rocha: 6th
Ximena Arredondo/Jocelyn Rios: 18th

Boys Singles:
Daniel Sandoval: 3rd
Levy Hinnant: 9th

Boys Doubles:
Damian Rosas/Kyle Villalon: 4th
Dorian Linebrink/Justin Patton: 20th

Mixed Doubles:
Genevive Lillard/Nicholas Theiss: 5th
Christian Brown/MaryJane Trevino: 11th
Wolf Lopez/Evelyn Titzman: 20th

Swimming & Diving – TM competed at the State Meet on Feb. 14th & 15th in Austin. Results are listed:

Boys overall Team standing 13th place

Boys 200 Yd Medley Relay 18thplace Christian Castillo, Aidan Vargas, Cameron Quintero, Luca Nissimblat

Girls 200 Freestyle 11th place Zoe Garcia

Boys 200 Freestyle 8th place Eric Potter

Boys 200 Yd IM 10th place Aidan Vargas

Girls 1 M Diving 18th place Alessandra Ruiz

Girls 100 Freestyle 10th place Zoe Garcia

Boys 100 Freestyle 12th place Eric Potter

Boys 200 Yd Freestyle Relay 7th place Eric Potter, Taylor Dear, Luca Nissimblat, Aidan Vargas

Boys 100 Backstroke 24th place Christian Castillo

Boys 100 Yd Breast 11th place Aidan Vargas

Cherokee Basketball – The Cherokees fell to the Victoria East Titans, 64-78, in the Bi-District round of Playoffs. Congratulations Cherokees and coaches on a great season!

Warrior Basketball – The Varsity Warriors upset Laredo Martin 75-72 with a last second 3 point shot to end the regular season with a win. The Warriors have made the Playoffs and more information will be shared once arrangements have been made.

Cherokee Soccer – The Cherokees continued District play on Tuesday, February 18th at Gregory Portland. Varsity 1-5. The Cherokees will travel to Alice on Friday, February 21st. JV will play at 5:30pm with Varsity to follow at 7pm.

Warrior Soccer – The Warriors will continue District play on Friday, February 21st, hosting the Alice Coyotes. JV will play at 5:30pm with Varsity to follow at 7pm. It is also Senior Night for the Warriors.

Power Lifting – Power Lifting competed at Orange Grove on Saturday, February 15th. The Boys placed 2nd and the Girls placed 1st. Power Lifting will compete at Beeville on Saturday, February 22nd.

If you would like to buy a Cherokee playoff shirt, please click on the link below. Sizes that are available are youth medium to 4xl. Short sleeve shirts (ym – 3xl) cost $15.00 while long sleeve shirts (ym – 3xl) cost $20.00. 4xl short sleeve shirts cost $19.00 while 4xl long sleeve shirts cost $24.00. The link will be active until February 11, 2020 (link will close at 11:59 pm). All playoff shirts must be purchased through this link. The shirts will delivered to me and I will distribute the shirts to your campus.

If you have any questions, contact James Bueno at 3180.

Please click on this link to purchase: https://gogearonline.com/tuloso-po

Golden Brigade Officers

The officers for the 2020-2021 Golden Brigade are:
Colonel – Samantha Tischler
Major – Carly French
Captain – Emery Chavez
Captain – Morgan Ferguson

Girl Scout Cookies

Girl Scout Cookies can’t be sold during school hours to students, due to the Food Compete Laws and TMHS Policy. Orders for students can be taken but delivery must be after school or before school. Students may not be in possession of cookies during the school day (carrying around those to sell or for delivery).

Online Store

Grad Nite now has a TM online store with items offered here are not group specific, and aren’t dated. Buys can choose from embroidered tops to screen tees and can choose which design you want on which shirt. The store will be open for the rest of the school year and orders will be filled every two weeks.

Suicide Awareness Walk

The 4th Annual Suicide Awareness “Walk for Colten” is scheduled for 9 a.m. Saturday, April 4 at Calallen Middle School. Registration begins a half hour before the walk.
According to organizers suicide rates among 10-24 year olds has increased 58% over the past 10 years, and 100% in the 10–14 age group.
For more information: [email protected]

Prom

Prom will be held Saturday, April 25 from 8 p.m to midnight at Richard M. Borchard Fairgrounds. The theme will be “Havana Nights”. Ticket details to come in March.

Scholarships

H-E-B Scholarship for UIL Senior Participants

H-E-B will award 15 high school seniors who participated in UIL competitions with a $2,000 scholarship in recognition of their community service and involvement in their communities.

If you are a senior who meets the criteria below, please submit your application to SportsInAction.com by no later than February 14, 2020:

· Minimum 3.3 GPA

· Number of Community Service Hours Completed in the last 12 months

· Community Service Verification Letters to document the number of hours submitted

· A letter of recommendation

· A Short Essay (500 words or less) on the topic: “What does Community mean to you?”

There will be 15 total winners – 5 each in music, academics and athletics – and each will be awarded $2,000 from H-E-B. An announcement of the winners will be March 14, 2020.

More information on the scholarship can be found here: http://www.sportsinaction.com/scholarship/

If you have teacher aid, senior arrival or senior leave, stop by the Go Center to complete your application.

South Texas Press Association is making available the $1,500 Paul Busch Scholarship for a graduating high school student who is pursuing a career in newspaper journalism. The recipient will receive $750 upon registration for the fall semester 2020 and an additional $750 upon registration for the spring semester 2021.
South Texas Press Association covers newspapers from Round Rock south to the coast and then on down to the valley and go as far west as Bandera.

ACET offers twenty scholarships annually to graduating high school students. The tuition scholarships are for $1,000, and are payable directly to the college, universty, or other post-secondary institution of the student’s choice. Student applicants must provide documented proof of participation in a compensatory education program sometime during their school career. The definition of compensatory programs is a program that provides remedial assistance and support for students who have failed STAAR or at-risk of dropping out of school. Additional programs include programs for migrant, Title I, Bilingual/ESL, and pregnant or parenting students.
STUDENT APPLICATION FOR 2020 (DEADLINE FEBRUARY 14, 2020)
DOCUMENTS NEEDED:
* Letter to Students – https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.110.232/nh1.a89.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/letter-to-students-1.pdf

* Timeline – https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.110.232/nh1.a89.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-ACET-Student-Timeline.pdf

* Application – https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.110.232/nh1.a89.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-ACET-Student-Application.pdf

* Scoring Rubic – https://secureservercdn.net/166.62.110.232/nh1.a89.myftpupload.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/2020-ACET-Student-Scoring-Rubric.pdf

This information is also posted on the ACET website which can be accessed by clicking this link: https://www.acetx.org/scholarship

Application Deadlines:
* February 14, 2020 = ACET (student and adult)
* Must be postmarked no later than the established deadline.
Mail completed applications to:
ESC-2 State & Federal Programs
ACET Region #2 Director
209 N Water Street
Corpus Christi, Texas 78401
* No fax applications will be accepted.
Should you have any questions or need assistance, feel free to contact us by phone at (361) 561-8674 or by email at [email protected].

Softball Alumni game

12:30 p.m. February 15
Home Run Derby 1–2 p.m.
Alumni Game 3 p.m.
Burger, chips and drink $8
Home Run Derby: 5 swings for $5
Kids (kinder–8th): Run bases $2
Silent auction, Softball shirts & caps for sale, game ball & outfield banner sponsors.
Contact coach Sally DeLeon for more information.
Hamburger Sale Tickets are $8.00 (Includes: Burger, Chips & Drink)
serving from 12:30-4:00 on Saturday.You may purchase a ticket from Any softball player or Coach! If not, please email me and we will have tickets delivered to YOUR campus!

Win a yearbook

The yearbook staff is offering students five chances throughout the year to win a copy of the 2020 edition of the yearbook. Five scavenger hunts are scheduled throughout the year and the winner of each contest will receive a copy of the yearbook when they arrive in May. Tickets to enter the contests may be purchased from Matt Meinheit in Room 225 or from one of the yearbook students.

The $10 ticket price includes entry to the remaining four scavenger hunts and can be credited toward the purchase of a yearbook. Scavenger hunts are scheduled during activity schedule:

February 21st

NJROTC scholarship

The Navy announced a new scholarship program for students who don’t quite make the minimum scores (SAT/ACT) to qualify for the  Navy officer ROTC program scholarship. Students must be able to pass a Navy Physical Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups). The new program will pay 100% of college costs (tuition and room and board) for one full year for accepted students at any college that supports the program. Students are automatically enrolled into the Navy ROTC program at that school with a full 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship after successfully completing the initial year.

See LCDR Joe Harmon in Room 139 for more information.

Afternoon tutorials

Library tutorials are held each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school from 4:10 – 5:10.

Mock Trial

TM reached semi-finals at the Region 2 of the Texas High School Mock Trial competition, which was held on Saturday at the Nueces County Courthouse.
Team members are:
Student Attorneys: Zach Nepote, Brooke Candela, Jadyn Garcia
Student Witnesses: Jacqueline Gonzalez, Gunner Sander, Jiselle Flores, Morgan Candela, Izabella Garcia, and Azaria Russell
Student Timekeeper: Stephanie Zapata
Student Courtroom Artist: Leo Molina

Online Store

Suicide Awareness Walk

For more information: [email protected]

Prom

Scholarships

Win a yearbook

February 21st

NJROTC scholarship

Afternoon tutorials

The War Cry staff posts announcements each day during the eighth-period newspaper class. Contact student media adviser Matt Meinheit at [email protected] before eighth period to add an item to the announcements.