Announcements for November 7, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Announcements for November 7, 2019

College Signing

Miles Hellums is expected to sign to play college baseball for the San Jacinto Gators 4:30 p.m. Thursday in the dome.

Buc Days King & Queen Leadership Program

Students interested in competing for more than $62,000 in scholarship money must have a GPA of at least 3.0, a strong record of school and extra curricular activities, and a desire to grow and achieve great things.  See Mrs. Lora Casarez in the counseling office for more details.

ASVAB testing

TMHS is scheduled to administer the ASVAB test Wednesday, Nov. 13. Students interested in taking the ASVAB need to see Mrs. Lora Casarez in the counselors offices as soon as possible. The ASVAB is a multiple-aptitude battery that measures developed abilities and helps predict future academic and occupational success in the military.

Senior tribute pages

The deadline to order a senior tribute page in the year book is Friday, Nov. 15. Click here or see Mr. Matt Meinheit for more details.

TSA Regional Leadership Conference

9–11:30 a.m. Saturday at West Oso High School. The bus is scheduled to leave at 8 a.m from the student parking lot area.

Region choir results

More than 20 members of the TM choir received honors at the Region Treble and Pre-Area Large School Choir Auditions on Saturday, Nov. 2.
Region Treble
Soprano 1
• Lauryn Basurto
• Ayrika Garcia
• Pilar Garcia
• Alyssa Barrera
Soprano 2
• Katrina Gonzalez
• Alexis Ludwig
• Leeannah Litchenberg
• Margo Soliz
Alto
• Riley Sanchez
• Augrey Carrera
• Haley Mills
Region Choir
• Avery Garcia, Soprano 1
• Miranda Cantu, Soprano 1
• Isabelle Quezada, Soprano 1
• Felicia Hinojosa, Soprano 2
• Mackezie Woodard, Soprano 2
• Kianna Cruz, Soprano 2
• Daniela Cano-Lopez, Soprano 2 alternate
• Jennelle Mengel, Alto 2
• Juan Angel Sandoval, Tenor 2
• Joshua Nepote, Tenor 2
• Ryan McCauley, Tenor 2
• Adam Lozano, Tenor 2
• Adam Florez, Tenor 2 Alternate
• Caleb Martinez, Bass 1
• Gilbert Rodriguez, Bass 1
• Jarrod Jones, Bass 1

In addition to making the Region Choir, the following qualified to audition for the Texas All-State Choir in January.
• Felicia Hinojosa, Soprano 2 Chair No. 1
• Juan Angel Sandoval, Tenor 2 Chair No. 1
• Joshua Nepote, Tenor 2 Chair No. 2
• Caleb Martinez, Bass 1 Chair No. 2
• Avery Garcia, Area alternate
• Miranda Cantu, Area alternate
• Mackenzie Woodard, Area alternate
• Ryan McCauley, Area alternate

Volleyball

The Cherokees lost to the Carroll Tigers 25-18, 22-25, 19-25, 16-25 in the Bi-District round of the Playoffs on Tuesday

Cross Country

Senior  Christian Castillo finished 6th at the 2019 Regional Cross Country Championships on Monday, October 28th at TAMU-CC to advance to the State Meet Saturday, Nov. 9 in Round Rock. Senior Tristan Salinas finished 80th at the Region Meet

Tennis

The Varsity Warriors lost 16-3 to Alamo Heights at the Regional Tournament in San Antonio on Thursday and Friday Oct. 24–25.

The JV Warriors defeated Veterans Memorial 16-4 Tuesday, Nov. 5  to improve to 10-0 overall on the season.

Football

The Warriors host Somerset this week. This week’s games are listed:

Freshmen: 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 7

JV at Somerset: 5 p.m. Thursday, Nov. 7

Varsity: 7:30 p.m. Friday, Nov. 8

Golf

Varsity girls are scheduled to compete at the Palmview Course on Friday, Nov. 8 and Saturday, Nov. 9.

Swimming

The swim team is scheduled to compete at the Victoria Invitational on Friday and Saturday, November 8–9.

Tamales sales

The High School PALS (Peer Assistance and Leadership Students) are selling Delia’s Tamales this holiday season. Download an order form here. The deadline to order is Wednesday, November 13. Order pickup is scheduled for 4–8 p.m. Friday, November 22 in the high school cafeteria.

Softball merchandise

The Cherokee softball program is selling TM merchandise.

Orders can be placed at the online store.

The deadline to order is Friday, Nov. 8. Orders are expected to arrive the week of December 9–13.

Cherokees basketball

The Cherokees will host the IWA Angels on Tuesday, Nov. 12.

Freshman and JV: 5 p.m.

Varsity: 6:30 p.m.

Warrior basketball

The Warriors are scheduled to scrimmage the King Mustangs 10 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 9 at King H.S.

Warriors & Cherokees basketball at AT&T Center

The Cherokees are scheduled to play the West Oso Lady Bears at 11:30 a.m.Wednesday, Nov. 27 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio. Tickets, which include the Spurs game against the Minnesota Timberwolves that evening, are $22, $32, $56 or $66. Contact girls basketball coach James Bueno for more information.

The Warriors are scheduled to play the West Oso Bears on Friday, Nov. 29 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio. Tickets, which include the Spurs game against the Los Angeles Clippers that evening, are sold out. All payments for the tickets are due Nov. 1.

‘Dancing with the teachers’

The Grad Night fundraiser was canceled.

Toys, Touchdowns & Tutus

Warrior football and the Golden Brigade plan to host a benefit for patients at Driscoll Children’s Hospital at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4 at the PAC. Members of the football teams will perform with members of the Golden Brigade. Admission to the show is one new toy to be donated to Driscoll Children’s Hospital.

Win a yearbook

The yearbook staff is offering students five chances throughout the year to win a copy of the 2020 edition of the yearbook. Five scavenger hunts are scheduled throughout the year and the winner of each contest will receive a copy of the yearbook when they arrive in May. Tickets to enter the contests may be purchased from Matt Meinheit in Room 225 or from one of the yearbook students.

The $10 ticket price includes entry to the remaining four scavenger hunts and can be credited toward the purchase of a yearbook. Scavenger hunts are scheduled during activity schedule:

• Friday, Nov. 15
  • Thursday, Dec. 19
  • Friday, Jan. 31
  • Friday, Feb. 21

NJROTC scholarship

The Navy announced a new scholarship program for students who don’t quite make the minimum scores (SAT/ACT) to qualify for the  Navy officer ROTC program scholarship. Students must be able to pass a Navy Physical Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups). The new program will pay 100% of college costs (tuition and room and board) for one full year for accepted students at any college that supports the program. Students are automatically enrolled into the Navy ROTC program at that school with a full 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship after successfully completing the initial year.

See LCDR Joe Harmon in Room 139 for more information.

Tom Shelby Scholarship

The Tom Selby Memorial Athletic Scholarship was established in the Spring of 2019 in memory of Tom Selby, a longtime Tuloso-Midway ISD educator and coach.

The Tom Selby Memorial Athletic Scholarship will award a scholarship to a current Tuloso-Midway senior, one male and one female, who participated as a player, manager or trainer, in any sport, and who plans on continuing their education in college or vocational programs.

For more information: Ms. Stacie Figueroa in room S106

Pep Rally Themes

November 8: Maroon and Gold Madness—Senior Pep Rally outside in the morning (wear everything maroon and gold)

Afternoon tutorials

Library tutorials are held each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school from 4:10 – 5:10.

ID Lanyards

All faculty, staff and students must wear school IDs at all times during school hours. Individuals that did not receive an ID must see librarian Mrs. Debbie VanZandt to have one made. A $5 replacement fee will be required to replace lost  IDs. Students may face a disciplinary consequence for continued failures to wear their IDs.

School security policies

Hoods, hats, etc.

Hooded jackets may be worn, but hoods, caps, beanies or any item cannot be worm on a student’s head. If a student is seen with such an item, it will be confiscated. A disciplinary consequence will follow additional offenses.

No bags in student section

Students will not be permitted to bring a backpack games. All purses will be checked. Students need to be sure to have a ride at 10 p.m. If the student is picked up late, they will not be able to attend the next home game.

The War Cry staff posts announcements each day during the eighth-period newspaper class. Contact student media adviser Matt Meinheit [email protected] before eighth period to add an item to the announcements.