Announcements for October 22, 2019

Back to Article
Back to Article

Announcements for October 22, 2019

Staff

Red Ribbon Week

The following spirit days are scheduled to recognize Red Ribbon Week from October 21-25.

• Tuesday: “Friends don’t let friends do drugs” Dress identical as your friend(s).
  • Wednesday: “Unity Day” Wear orange in unity for kindness, acceptance, inclusion, and against bullying.
  • Thursday: “We dream of a life without drugs” Wear your favorite pajamas. No slippers, spaghetti strap tanks, lingerie, short night gowns.
  • Friday: “Don’t get tied down with drugs!” Wear tie-dyed colors

Dress code will still remain in effect each day.

Volleyball

PLAYOFF BOUND

Orders are available for the 2019 Cherokee Volleyball Playoff shirt. Deadline is Thursday, October 24th. The shirts are maroon, long sleeve, cotton shirts and cost $18–$20. Shirts should arrive during intersession. A pick-up time will be announced once shirts arrive.

Cross Country

29-5A District Cross Country Meet in Laredo

29-5A District Cross Country Meet in Laredo Varsity girls.

Varsity girls, 2nd
Jasmine Herrera, 4th
Ellie Herrick, 9th

JV girls
Jaymele Gonzales, 9th

Freshmen girls
Mady Reyna, district champion
Riley Garcia, 2nd

Varsity boys
Christian Castillo, district champion
Tristan Salinas, 5th
Freshmen boys
Anthony Garrett, 2nd

All participants listed advance to the Region IV Cross Country Championship on Monday, October 28 at the TAMU-CC Dugan Soccer/Track Stadium.

Softball

The Cherokee softball program is selling TM merchandise. Items are scheduled to arrive the week after Thanksgiving Break.

Orders can be placed at the online store: https://fancloth.shop/VBJJX

The Online Store will close Oct. 25th by Midnight.

Golf

Mia McCall placed 4th at the Flour Bluff JV Tournament.  Varsity will compete at Lozano Golf Course on Friday, October 25 & Saturday, October 26

Bullying and Cybersecurity

The Technology Department added a few resources to the district’s website  in honor of National Bullying Prevention Month as well as National Cybersecurity Awareness Month.  On the Students/Parents page visitors will find the following items:

On each campus page also has a Report A Bully link. Students can report an incident and the information is sent to the campus administrator.

Afternoon tutorials

Library tutorials are held each Monday, Tuesday and Thursday after school from 4:10 – 5:10.

‘Dancing with the teachers’

The senior class is planning a dance competition for 6 p.m. November 7 to raise funds for Grad Night.

• 10–15 students, or small groups of students, may choose a staff member to dance with
  • Staff members must sign that they are willing to dance participate
  • Contestants must create their own routine, costumes and props
  • Music must be approved by school administrators
  • Practices cannot interfere with class instruction and should be scheduled before or after school, during lunch, or a conference period
  • Participants are highly encouraged to promote their performance
  • Contestants will receive a score based on judges’ results and monetary donations by the audience

For more information: Ms. Amanda Boone in room 128

Warriors & Cherokees basketball at AT&T Center

The Cherokees are scheduled to play the West Oso Lady Bears at 11:30 a.m. Wednesday, Nov. 27 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio. Tickets, which include the Spurs game against the Minnesota Timberwolves that evening, are $22, $32, $56 or $66. Contact girls basketball coach James Bueno for more information.

The Warriors are scheduled to play the West Oso Bears on Friday, Nov. 29 at the AT&T Center in San Antonio. Tickets, which include the Spurs game against the Los Angeles Clippers that evening, are sold out. All payments for the tickets are due Nov. 1.

Toys, Touchdowns & Tutus

Warrior football and the Golden Brigade plan to host a benefit for patients at Driscoll Children’s Hospital at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Dec. 4 at the PAC. Members of the football teams will perform with members of the Golden Brigade. Admission to the show is one new toy to be donated to Driscoll Children’s Hospital.

Win a yearbook

The yearbook staff is offering students five chances throughout the year to win a copy of the 2020 edition of the yearbook. Five scavenger hunts are scheduled throughout the year and the winner of each contest will receive a copy of the yearbook when they arrive in May. Tickets to enter the contests may be purchased from Matt Meinheit in Room 225 or from one of the yearbook students.

The $10 ticket price includes entry to the remaining four scavenger hunts and can be credited toward the purchase of a yearbook. Scavenger hunts are scheduled during activity schedule:

• Friday, Nov. 15
  • Thursday, Dec. 19
  • Friday, Jan. 31
  • Friday, Feb. 21

NJROTC scholarship

The Navy announced a new scholarship program for students who don’t quite make the minimum scores (SAT/ACT) to qualify for the  Navy officer ROTC program scholarship. Students must be able to pass a Navy Physical Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups). The new program will pay 100% of college costs (tuition and room and board) for one full year for accepted students at any college that supports the program. Students are automatically enrolled into the Navy ROTC program at that school with a full 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship after successfully completing the initial year.

See LCDR Joe Harmon in Room 139 for more information.

Tom Shelby Scholarship

The Tom Selby Memorial Athletic Scholarship was established in the Spring of 2019 in memory of Tom Selby, a longtime Tuloso-Midway ISD educator and coach.

The Tom Selby Memorial Athletic Scholarship will award a scholarship to a current Tuloso-Midway senior, one male and one female, who participated as a player, manager or trainer, in any sport, and who plans on continuing their education in college or vocational programs.

For more information: Ms. Stacie Figueroa in room S106

Pep Rally Themes

October 25: “Tye” Down the Tigers! (Everyone tye-dye!)

November 8: Maroon and Gold Madness—Senior Pep Rally outside in the morning (wear everything maroon and gold)

ID Lanyards

All faculty, staff and students must wear school IDs at all times during school hours. Individuals that did not receive an ID must see librarian Mrs. Debbie VanZandt to have one made. A $5 replacement fee will be required to replace lost  IDs. Students may face a disciplinary consequence for continued failures to wear their IDs.

School security policies

Hoods, hats, etc.

Hooded jackets may be worn, but hoods, caps, beanies or any item cannot be worm on a student’s head. If a student is seen with such an item, it will be confiscated. A disciplinary consequence will follow additional offenses.

No bags in student section

Students will not be permitted to bring a backpack games. All purses will be checked. Students need to be sure to have a ride at 10 p.m. If the student is picked up late, they will not be able to attend the next home game.

The War Cry staff posts announcements each day during the eighth-period newspaper class. Contact student media adviser Matt Meinheit at [email protected] before eighth period to add an item to the announcements.