WAR CRY

Announcements for August 14

Senior Portraits

Senior portraits are scheduled for August 27–30 in the Loft. Students will be dismissed from their English classes.

All girls: Tuesday, Aug. 27
Boys A–M: Wednesday, Aug. 28
Boys N–Z: Thursday, Aug. 29
Absentees & special needs: Friday, Aug. 30

Each senior may take portraits in formalwear and cap and gown that will be provided.

Girls need to wear a black top with thin straps that can be concealed under the black choir dress that will be provided. The photographers recommend wearing a necklace and earrings to accessorize the black dress.

Boys need to be clean-shaven, and wear a plain, white T-shirt underneath the dress shirt and jacket that will be provided. Boys may choose to wear their own collared shirt and tie under the cap and gown if they do not wish to wear the one that will be provided.

There are no advance orders for these portraits. All order information will accompany a proof of each student’s photos that will be distributed through English classes about three weeks following the portraits.

A retake date is scheduled for Wednesday, Oct. 9, but students must schedule an appointment with Mr. Meinheit in advance to participate. Contact Matt Meinheit in Room 225 for additional information.

Win a 2020 yearbook

The yearbook staff is offering students five chances throughout the year to win a copy of the 2020 edition of the yearbook. Five scavenger hunts are scheduled throughout the year and the winner of each contest will receive a copy of the yearbook when they arrive in May. Tickets to enter the contests my be purchased from Matt Meinheit in Room 225 or from one of the yearbook students.

The $10 ticket price includes entry to all five of the scavenger hunts and can be credited toward the purchase of a yearbook. Scavenger hunts are scheduled during activity schedule:
Thursday, Aug. 29
Friday, Nov. 15
Thursday, Dec. 19
Friday, Jan. 31
Friday, Feb. 21

NJROTC SCHOLARSHIP

The Navy announced a new scholarship program for students who don’t quite make the minimum scores (SAT/ACT) to qualify for the  NAVY OFFICER ROTC PROGRAM SCHOLARSHIP. Students must be able to pass a Navy Physical Fitness test (1.5 mile run, push ups, sit ups). The new program will pay 100% of college costs (tuition and room and board) for one full year for accepted students at any college that supports the program. Students are automatically enrolled into the Navy ROTC program at that school with a full 4-year Navy ROTC scholarship after successfully completing the initial year.

See LCDR Joe Harmon in Room 139 for more information.

Homecoming Parade

The “Hollywood Homecoming” parade is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sept. 28. CCPD will begin to block streets at 5pm. The Burning of the Letters and Homecoming Court presentation will follow the parade at Warrior Stadium. Other homecoming events include:

Cherokee Volleyball, 5 p.m. (varsity) and 6 p.m. (sub-varsity) Friday, Oct. 4.
Warrior Football, 7:30 p.m. Friday, Oct. 4
Homecoming Dance, 7–11 p.m. Saturday, Oct. 5 in the Commons

Pep Rally Themes

August 30: Wrangle the Brahmas! (Boots, jeans, cowboy hats, etc…)
September 13: War with the Trojans! (Wear your best Camo!)
October 4: Paint the World Pink—To kick off Breast Cancer Awareness Month (Think Pink!)
October 25: “Tye” Down the Tigers! (Everyone tye-dye!)
November 8: Maroon and Gold Madness—Senior Pep Rally outside in the morning (wear everything maroon and gold)

Checkpoint Tests

English Checkpoint 1: Tuesday, Aug. 20
Math Checkpoint 1: Thursday, Aug. 22
Social Studies Checkpoint 1: Tuesday, Aug. 27
Science Checkpoint 1: Tuesday, Aug. 27

TMISD Grants

Tuloso-Midway ISD Education Foundation grant application and guidelines are available to download from the TMISD website. Deadline to apply is Thursday, Sept. 12, 2019. Completed applications should be submitted to the foundation office located in the administration building. Grant requests to fund technology equipment must include a quote obtained from the TMISD Technology Department.

For more information, contact Executive Director Robin Murray at [email protected], (361) 903-6403, (361) 241-5836 (fax)

The War Cry staff posts announcements each day during the eighth-period newspaper class. Contact student media adviser Matt Meinheit at [email protected] before eighth period to add an item to the announcements.

• Friday, Aug. 28. Football at Miller. Miller 62–TM 20.

Football

Excited for Friday night lights

• Miranda Riojas 21

Opinion

My time in ADC

• IMDB description: In Gotham City, mentally-troubled comedian Arthur Fleck is disregarded and mistreated by society. He then embarks on a downward spiral of revolution and bloody crime. This path brings him face-to-face with his alter-ego: The Joker.

Opinion

Is the new “Joker” a joke?

• The Lion Kings Circle of Life

Reviews

The Lion Kings Circle of Life

• That Sinking Feeling

Opinion

That Sinking Feeling

• Opinion

Sick of It

• Opinion

The Right Elective for You!

• Are You the Player, or the One Being Played?

Opinion

Are You the Player, or the One Being Played?

• Rated R

Reviews

Bird Box: The Current Face of Netflix

• Opinion

The Mystery Behind the Mistletoe