The Right Elective for You!

Fine the best elective to take next school year.

Monica Garza, Staff Reporter

Choosing a class schedule can be really exciting for some students, but really frustrating for others. Though picking core classes like math, science, social studies and English are simpler, picking electives has a bigger opportunity to decide what to take.

Tuloso-Midway offers multiple different types of electives. We created this guide to help you find the electives that best suit your academic needs for the upcoming school year. Keep in mind that these are not all the available electives. All classes are two semesters unless stated otherwise. DC stands for dual credit, meaning college credit.

Journalism

Admittedly I’m biased toward this program, but … Journalism practices proper reporting, editing and writing skills for creating articles. Photojournalism teaches students basic terms of photography and editing. Yearbook students work on designing, photographing and creating the school’s yearbook. Newspaper write, interview others and edit their own articles to be posted on the school’s online newspaper the WarCry.

I have taken Photojournalism and I am in both Newspaper and Yearbook and they are by far my favorite classes. As someone who loves to take photos, photojournalism really helped me learn to use a camera correctly. Being able to actually create the yearbook everyone in the school sees and write the articles on our school’s website is really a big accomplishment. If you love photography, writing or talking and meeting with new people, I highly advise taking at least one of these courses.

Art

Art provides an introduction into designing skills by allowing students to learn different methods and perform different techniques of drawing, painting, sculpting and/or printmaking. All students must start at an Art 1 class and work their way up.

Choir

Choir teaches you how to sight-read and better learn your voice by vocal skills and chorus singing. There are concerts and competition throughout the school year.

Band

Band members must already know how to play an instrument or have been in percussion the previous year. The classes are taken in sequence but jazz band is optional for a band member. Marching band occurs during the first semester and UIL Competition occurs in the second.

“Band has definitely been a big part of my life,” Aaron Botello ’19 said. “I’ve met many different people with many different personalities. I think it’s amazing how we all come together to create something so complex through music. Music has become a big part of my life and band pushes me to continue to work hard and focus on music after high school.”

Theater Arts

Theater Arts classes teach students how to act on stage, improvise, perform scenes and overall learn the concepts of drama by focusing on performance. Technical Theater gives students the opportunity to learn backstage, such as set design, costumes, make-up, lights, sound etc.

“In technical theater, we learn what goes on backstage of every show and how we make the show look nice and clean for our audience to enjoy,” Robert Contreras ‘19. “If you don’t want to help out in a show, you can always help out with our makeup-crew or costume-crew which play a big role in helping our actors get on stage as quick as possible.”

Speech

Speech is a required one- semester class to take to be eligible to graduate. Oral Interpretation and Debate are part of the Speech and Debate program. Oral Interp: Students research, select, learn and perform many different types of literary texts which they compete at in multiple competitions in hopes to advance to state and then nationals. Debaters goals are the same except they research and analyze forms of debate and learn to make resolutions by using logic and critical thinking.

“Debate is a class that allows us to further our knowledge of the world we live in, as well as strengthen our skills as individuals,” Teah McBang ’20. “I personally like debate because it allows me to form my own opinions on hot topics, like immigration and the economy, instead of being forced into believing one set of ideals.” Teah McBang ‘20

Languages

A language other than English must be taken for two years in order to graduate. Spanish class starts at teaching students to read and pronounce words, than expanding to speaking sentences and conversations. American Sign Language explains the basic conversational signs and works its way up to learning fingerspelling in full sentences and phrases.

“I have learned that Spanish is very versatile and contextual, typically if you understand the foundation and add in your knowledge, you can get the point across, of course with practice,” Zach Nepote ’20. “Spanish has also taught me the culture of my Mexican-American grandparents and allowed me to bridge further into their culture, something that makes them proud.”

Computer Science

Computer related classes educate students on using technology applications, how to work digital software, solving/ designing game problems and studying data pertaining to the Earth’s surface, depending on which class taken.

“The class is good to take if you want to design and create,” Roger Revilla ’22. “You get to express yourself and make your own things like logos and edit pictures to create a realistic image. I personally like it because I get to design and create beautiful images or creations. The first part of the year you learn everything about what you will use before you start and then you get to start designing. It’s really fun to create things like outer space pictures, change colors of things, make fake things look real and more.”

Floral Design

Floral Design fulfills the fine arts credit while teaching students the principles of careers related to floral design and understanding the management of floral businesses.

“I’m in Advanced Floral and the reason I took the class is because I wanted to make my own flower arrangements and take them home,” Gunner Sandoval “20. In floral you have to learn about 125 flowers, which is pretty intimidating but it was good and fresh (that’s a pun). “

Computer Technology

Computer Technology courses expand students technology related vocabulary, create a better understanding of technology applications, learn to work in audio/video activities and code languages and create games, depending on the course. The animation classes teach about the animation industry and students learn to make two and three dimensional animations.

Manufacturing

Manufacturing classes teach students about careers relating to food, agriculture and natural resources. The Agricultural Mechanics class focuses on agricultural mechanics including electrical wiring, plumbing, carpenting, tool operation and more. Welding courses help students learn to move heavy equipment in confined spaces and work with metal technology systems.

“We learned what the numbers stand for on the electrode and we learned all the safety rules and what all the tools are called,” Xavier Gonzales ’20.”I’m working on vertical welds which is when you have a piece of angle iron and you tack it to the corner of the table and the metal is straight up and down and we run beads on it. I like welding because it’s a cool job and when I get older I want to be a welder because one, the money is great and being able to weld is fun.”

Sports Medicine

Sports Medicine informs and requires students to research the elements of sports medicine and gives them a look at health care careers.

“We learn how to assist people and their needs as in learning to wrap a foot which can be a little nasty and how to wrap a thumb and hand and such,” Breana Tijerina ’20. “Most importantly, I learned how to make a proper ice pack. I definitely had to master it over time.”